The millennials who made Generation X raise their eyebrows not long ago are now becoming parents on their own. With 1 in 5 mothers being millennials, there are roughly 9 million millennial mothers raising kids. Unfortunately, many of them are also single mothers, as millennials seem to marry in a hurry and divorce in the same hurry.
This is why many young women in their 20s and early 30s, are now leaving the casual sex relationships and flirty texting, for changing diapers. However, just because they are raising a kid – or multiple – doesn’t mean these women have given up on finding love. Due to misconceptions, men believe a single mother is not “datable” anymore, which is completely wrong. Even mothers need love and crave sex– even if they don’t need another spouse. Here are some of the most important things a millennial divorced single mother wants you to know before dating her.
1. I don’t want to get married
At least for some time, a woman who has been in a marriage and has had a child is not willing to re-marry quite soon. The sheer amount of money and time she gave to divorce attorneys is enough to make her cringe at the thought of going through another marriage. A single mother is not going to jump into another marriage, because her regained independence is everything for her, along with her child. Of course, this makes things a bit complicated when it comes to having a relationship: while the mother is not going to look for someone for “forever after”, she is not looking for a one night stand either. The balance between these two is delicate.
2. Planning and organizing my life is the norm
Lovers enjoy a spontaneous trip abroad or to the countryside, but when you have a kid, this is out of the question. A single mom has to plan everything, from the guitar classes her child takes and the time spent by the child with their father, to the 30-minute walk down the park she enjoys alone and even the sexy time. Yes, this is a little hard, especially for a single man who would love to be able to pick up his date and drive to nowhere. Finding some free time on both sides is not impossible, but it can become a challenge.
3. I don’t want you to play “daddy”
There are two types of women: those who introduce their kids to their dates right away and those who don’t. Yet both of these single mothers don’t want their dates to play “daddy” for their kids. The child already has a dad, as bad as he might be, so there is no need for another one.
4. I am not “playing hard to get”
Men who think single mothers just “play hard to get” when they say they can’t make time for that romantic date. Single parenting is hard and it leaves little to no room for texting back. If you can’t understand this, you should probably quit dating a single mother, because her life is not going to change for you. She will always have to attend work, be social and deal with all her parenting duties, which include making cookies and attending school concerts.
5. I don’t want to talk about my child, even if I do talk about him or her
A single mother’s life is 90% about her child, but the rest of 10% is about her. Even if she does talk a lot about her child’s latest achievements, a millennial mother is interested in her job, her friends and her hobbies. When she became a mother she hasn’t ceased to be a millennial woman, so all that funny, high tech and deeply insecure in her own place in the world. At the end of the day, she is still a millennial!
If you want to conquer her heart, recognize her individuality as a person, her femininity and her sex-appeal. When she starts talking about the kid, listen to her, but do ask more about her, because all single mothers need more “me” time, especially on a date.
Millennial mothers have learned their lives don’t revolve around their kids. They know they have a different identity and know how to prioritize their own identities. They know how to separate their time as professionals, mothers and women. Moreover, they know they have to right to be happy and enjoy a healthy intimate life, which makes dating them a completely different experience.
Featured photo credit: Stocksy via stocksy.com