If you already have or really want a bubble butt, take these things into account: researchers at the Harvard Medical School have discovered that the type of fat found in women’s butts, hips and thighs–subcutaneous fat–might actually protect against serious health problems like diabetes and heart disease; evolutionary theorists believe that there is a link between emotional intelligence and how much junk is in the trunk; and evolutionary psychologists have discovered that men prefer women with fuller rear-ends.
So how do you emphasize what genetics already gave you or build up your butt? With squat exercises!
1. Basic Squat Exercise
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, body facing forward, abdominal muscles flexed.
- Inhale and bend at the knees as if you’re sitting in a chair and hold your arms out in front of your body, keeping your back straight.
- When your knees are at or slightly past an imaginary parallel line with your toes, stand back up, exhaling.
2. Body-Weight Jump Squat
- Similar to the basic squat position, but instead hold your arms up, placing your hands on the back of your head and elbows parallel with your body.
- Bend slightly at the knees, then jump up as high as you can.
- Upon landing, assume the basic squat position and immediately jump up again.
3. Single-Leg Chair Squat
- Sit down on a chair with your toes, knees and core facing straight ahead, feet shoulder-width apart and flat on the floor.
- Pick up one foot, then slowly stand up using the other foot.
- Extend your rear-end so your hips are behind your back, helping you maintain your balance. Slowly sit back down.
4. Pistol Squat
- Stand on one leg and squat all the way down to the floor.
- Keep your body leaning forward with arms and the other leg extended straight out.
5. Squat Pulses
- Do a basic squat.but while in the squatting position, bounce slightly up and down.
- Then while in the squatting position, bounce slightly up and down.
6. Ninja-Tuck Jump
- Squat on the floor, feet flat, facing forward, arms bent at your side.
- Jump up into a standing position, then land in a squatting position.
- Stand with feet farther than shoulder-width apart, similar to if you were balancing on a surfboard.
- Jump and spin around, facing the opposite direction.
8. Butt-to-Heels Squat
- Stand with your feet close together and slowly squat down until your heels rise slightly off the ground and your butt is touching them.
- Keep your core tight and body facing straight ahead.
9. Sumo Squat
- Put your arms straight out in front of you and bend into a squatting position with your toes pointing outward.
- Stop when your thighs are parallel to the ground, almost like a plie.
10. Squat Jacks
- Execute a basic squat.
- Then jump up as if you were doing a jumping jack, but don’t stand straight up, stay squatting.
11. Barbell Squat
- Perform a basic squat, keeping feet far apart.
- Hold a barbell across your upper back and shoulders while squatting.
12. Goblet Squat
Begin in the basic squat, with a dumbbell held upright in front of you. You should be gripping the dumbbell in both palms, as though you are holding a large goblet.
- Execute a basic squat with the dumbbell held upright in front of you.
- Grip the dumbbell in both hands as if you were holding a large goblet.
Try these various squats and see just how your body changes to produce that healthier bubble butt.
Featured photo credit: BuffMotherMichelleBurger via flickr.com