Millions of people the world over live a stressful life, especially in the United States. With the hectic pace and many challenges faced in our world today, most of us feel stressed and tired. Time is often too short to complete everything in a single day, and we often feel unhappy and depressed whenever we fail to accomplish what we originally set out to do. Most of the time, we are so busy that we hardly make the time to meditate or balance out our centre.
If you are looking to live a healthier life, then you should consider meditation.
It helps calm your nerves, overcome stress, and increase your concentration. With meditation, we can transform our mind from unhappy to happy. One of the best ways of developing a successful meditation habit is by finding the perfect kind of meditation that works best for you. In order to know the right fit, visit a professional who can help choose the one that feels the most comfortable.
Why Learn to Meditate
The benefits of meditation cannot be over emphasized. When practiced daily, you will feel more balanced, active, and positive- even in the most difficult of times! The reason why most people meditate is to help make their mind calmer and more peaceful. Once our mind is relaxed, we can focus, as well as mentally stabilize our intentions to execute our daily goals. Having control over our mind is one of the most difficult things to do. Our mind is always influenced by external circumstances. We become excited when things are rosy, but if things go bad, we feel irritated. By practicing meditation regularly, we are able to control our mindset regardless of the external circumstances.
How to Meditate
Meditation helps improve health, sleep, and can make you feel happier. Mediation helps us discover who we truly are. However, when trying to incorporate meditation, many people find it difficult to control their thoughts in the initial process. The following are some simple tips on how to help you meditate efficiently:
- Your sitting posture determines the effectiveness of the meditation on the body. Make sure you sit upright with your head up as this will help you stay focused.
- Keep your eyes open with a soft gaze so you don’t get lost in thought. This tip will also help you feel more present.
- Keep your breath as natural as possible. Do not try to regulate it.
- If your mind is still troubled, you can resort to counting your breath from one to four as you inhale and exhale. This will help you gain concentration.
- If you are struggling with emotions, do not try to stop them. Just focus your attention on your breath, body, and feelings.
- Keep calm and steady throughout your meditation. Focus your gaze on a small inanimate object, for example, you may use a lit candle placed in front of you.
- After meditating, reflect on the experience in a journal.
Benefits of Meditation
A good number of scientific research has shown that meditation offers some powerful holistic health benefits. Meditation is one of the best ways to combat stress and living a healthy lifestyle; you will have better control over your thoughts, and help yourself find inner peace. Meditation is also recommended for those who are looking to improve all aspects of their life. Some of the major benefits of meditation include the following:
- Reduction in anxiety, stress, and depression
- Improvement in abilities to stay focused
- Help in getting you quality sleep
- An aid to efficient critical thinking
- A remedy to breaking unhealthy habits
- Encouragement towards a healthier lifestyle
- A boost for the grey matter in various parts of your brain
Featured photo credit: Meditation by Moyan Brenn via flickr.com