One of the biggest struggles people face while trying to lose weight is keeping it off. The question of how to maintain weight loss is one that everyone has asked themselves at some point on their weight loss journey. Usually you will ask this question after losing the first few pounds, and again after meeting your weight loss goals. Countless people have lost the first 10 to 20 pounds only to gain them back again, and others have made it to their goal only to start gaining it back again. Here are some tips that will help you through both scenarios:
How to Maintain Weight Loss During Your Diet Program
- Reward yourself for your weight loss with nonfood options, like a pedicure, movie or item you’ve been wanting
- Keep your eye on the finish line – think of yourself as a marathon runner who cannot give up after reaching the first couple of milestones. You must finish the race.
- Don’t try to lose too quickly. 1 to 3 pounds per week is a healthy goal to have, and your body will thank you for taking it slowly!
- Stick to what works – diet hopping is not a healthy way to lose weight. Even if you have hit a plateau, stick with the same program and you will eventually see the scale dop again.
- Get an accountability partner. This should be someone you trust who will lose weight along with you and meet with you once or twice a week for moral support.
How to Maintain Weight Loss After Reaching Your Goal
- Say hello to exercise. While dieting, your food was restricted, but you can’t restrict yourself forever, so now you should stay active to keep your goal weight.
- Deal with your issues. If food was a problem before, it will become one again, so now it’s time to take care of your emotional health. Go to counseling, talk to friends, and do whatever it takes to deal with your problems so they won’t hinder your life anymore.
- Love yourself – it’s time to relax a little and take some time to get to know the new you!
- Get enough sleep – studies show that not sleeping enough can contribute to weight gain.
Wherever you are in your weight loss journey, remember to be kind to yourself. It’s not worth it to waste time angry or frustrated at yourself. You will get there eventually if you keep on going, so when you fail, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going.
If you want to know more about weight loss, you can’t miss the following article that provides all useful tips you need: