Lately you have been noticing that you are looking more tired and perhaps a bit older than you should. You have seen yourself in the mirror and spotted dark circles under your eyes. You consider using creams but many of the products available are expensive and you are not even sure if they will work. Don’t worry, there are inexpensive alternatives that will make those unwanted dark circles disappear or diminish. Here are 10 natural remedies that will have you looking younger and spritelier in no time.
What causes dark circles under the eyes?
There are three main causes of dark circles under the eyes. The first is genetics. If you have inherited fair or thin skin under the eyes it is easy to see if blood pools there. The reason blood pull is because fragile capillaries stretch or leak and this can happen when circulation is slow or from lack of sleep. The second cause of dark circles is age. With time skin loses collagen and becomes thinner. This means that veins are more apparent and show through the skin. Finally, seasonal allergies can result in dark circles. “They trigger the release of histamines in the body, which in turn inflame blood vessels and cause swelling,” says Ranella Hirsch, a dermatologist in Boston.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of dark circles fast:
1. Cold compress
When blood vessels near the eyes dilate, the result can be dark circles. You can shrink your blood vessels with the help of a cold compress. You can use a cold compress as follows:
- Soak a cloth in the cold water or milk.
- Lie down and close your eyes.
- Place the cold washed cloth over your eyes.
- Leave the cloth on your eyes until it is no longer cold.
- Once the cloth has lost its coldness soak it again and place over the eyes.
- Repeat this process for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Do this 3-4 times a day.
2. Almond Oil
Almond oil is all natural and is very beneficial for the delicate skin that surrounds the eyes. Lack of Vitamin K and some other antioxidants can also be a cause of dark circles. Almond oil contains vitamin K. This vitamin can help contract the dilate blood vessels. You can use almond oil as follows:
- When getting ready for bed, apply a little bit of almond oil over the dark circles.
- Gently massage the almond oil into the skin.
- Leave overnight.
- In the morning wash the almond oil off with cold water.
- Repeat this remedy daily.
Cucumbers have the ability to lighten skin and have mild astringent properties. This helps to sooth the skin around your eyes. Cucumber contains various antioxidants, for example vitexin, cucurbitacins, orientin and isoscoparin. They also contain vitamin K and vitamin C. These antioxidants and vitamins help reduce discolouration under eyes. You can use cucumbers as follows:
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thick slices.
- Refrigerate the slices for 30 minutes.
- Place the cucumber slices on your eyes for approximately 10 minutes.
- Wash the area with water.
- Repeat twice a day for about a week.
4. Raw Potato
Potatoes can stay cold for a long time and are rich in various antioxidants and vitamin C. Potatoes also contain starch. All these things can help nourish the thin skin around your eyes. Potatoes are also natural bleaching agents and as such can lighten dark circles. You can use raw potatoes as follows:
- Grate one or two raw potatoes to release the juice.
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice and place over your closed eyes.
- Allow the juice to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse well with cool water.
- Repeat once or twice daily for a few weeks.
5. Rose Water
The anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties of rose water provides protection against dust, contaminations, itchiness, redness, and inflammation of the eyes and helps reduce the dark circles. You can use rose water as follows:
- Soak cotton wool in pure rose water for a couple of minutes.
- Put the cotton wool over your closed eyelids.
- Leave there for approximately 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily for a few weeks.
6. Tomato-Tumaric-Lemon Eye Pack
Tomatoes have various nutrients, including vitamin A, C and B, sulfur, iron, phosphorus, potassium and calcium. These nutrients along with the bleaching properties of tomato make it an effective remedy for dark circles. Lemon juice has bleaching properties and tumaric has anti-inflammatory properties. You can use a Tomato-tumaric-lemon eye pack as follows:
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with one-half teaspoon of lemon juice. Add a liberal amount of turmeric powder and two table spoons of gram flour.
- Mix well to get a paste.
- Apply the past around your eyes covering the dark circles.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with cool water.
7. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea has antioxidant, cleansing and saturating properties. It also has some bleaching properties which helps to lighten the skin around the eyes. You can use chamomile tea as follows:
- Take two tea bags and 1-2 cups of hot water
- Place the tea bags in a cup and spill the hot water overthem.
- Let them soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Take out the tea bags and let them cool down. You can place them in the fridge.
- When the tea bags are cold lie down and place them over your eyes.
- Leave them there for 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat daily.
Avocado has wholesome fatty acids that can get rid of dark circles. They contain vitamins B, E and K. Avocados can bring dampness and versatility back to your skin and promote blood flow around the eyes. You can use avocados as follows:
- Cut two slices of avocado and place them on your eyes for 15-20 minutes.
- You can also use avocado oil on your dark circles.
Jasmine has anti-inflammatory, ophthalmic and astringent properties. Jasmine is very gentle and good for sensitive skin. You can use jasmine essential oil as follows:
Use 2 drops of jasmine essential oil and mix it together with 2 tablespoons of almond oil, olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Apply this mixture to the dark circles.
- Rub gently for a few minutes
- Leave for 20-30 minutes
- Wash off.
10. Castor Oil
Castor oil contains fatty acids; these acids help to rejuvenate skin. The most beneficial acid found in castor oil is ricinoleic. Ricinoleic has anti-inflammatory properties which makes it a good remedy for dark circles and puffiness of the eyes.
- Take 1 teaspoon of cater oil and 1 tespoon of fresh cream.
- Mix the oil with the cream.
- Apply the mixture all around your eyes.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
Wash off with water.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
Lack of sleep, alcohol, smoothing and an unbalanced diet are also responsible for dark circles and puffiness. Make sure you:
- Get enough Iron
- Stay Hydrated
- Avoid Caffeine
- Cut the Salt
- Drink a lot of fluids
Try face yoga
To help prevent wrinkles forming around the eyes and to ward of dark circles you can practice face yoga. Place both your middle fingers together between your eyebrows and apply pressure to the outer corner of your eyes with your index fingers. Look up. Make a strong squint by moving your lower eyelids upwards. Relax and repeat six times. When you finish squeeze your eyes shut for 10 second, and then relax.
Try one or a few of these remedies and you will be surprised by the positive results.
Featured photo credit: Health Cure Tips via healthcuretips.com