In past relationships I have learned that no matter how hard you try to please someone in certain cases you will only fall short. Being in a relationship is not simply about giving but it is also about your partner understanding who you are. They should not force you to give more than you can. Rather they should accept you for your abilities.
You should not compromise any of these things in a relationship, rather you should find a point to reach an understanding with your partner.
1. You should love your partner but they should support your dreams
Sometimes we want to let go of our dreams simply because our partners want something else for us. If they love us or want to be part of our future they should support our dreams also.
2. You have a new family but you cannot compromise on your family ties
Yes you want to build a new family with your partner. But you can’t simply throw away your family ties with your parents, relatives and siblings. Yes, all in-laws come with their baggage but you can always find a way to create a bridge between your families.
3. Your partner should be your best friend but you can’t throw away your former friendships
Your friends sometimes can be your best safety net. So you do not need to compromise your friendships for the sake of a relationship.
4. You should be committed to your partner but never abandon your career
It is never necessary for anyone to give up their career goals to make a relationship work. Rather it is important for you to work around your desires for what you want to achieve professionally in a mutually respectful manner.
5. You do not want someone who opposes your values but you don’t need to change your values for a relationship
You shouldn’t be on the same page with your partner on everything. It is ideal for you to have a healthy and informed debate every now and then. You shouldn’t show ignorance and tolerate bigoted ideals simply because you want to make your relationship work.
6. You do not have to stop feeling good about yourself because of anyone
Anyone who makes you feel less confident about yourself is not the right person for you. You also do not have to change yourself implicitly because of anyone. Rather you should be with someone that makes you feel like you can be yourself.
7. When you are in love you should also be treated with respect
As much as love can involve making personal sacrifices, you also should also be shown respect when you are in a relationship with anyone. You should not let go of your self-worth because you are trying so hard to please another person.
8. You should not compromise on humanity
There are many things that make you human, like compassion, an ability to forgive and to show empathy. You should not compromise on things that make you human.
9. You should not compromise on trust
We all want our partners to know that we can tolerate their mistakes and flaws. But even when we tolerate so much, we should be able to refuse to compromise on the importance of trust. This means we can continue to carry our relationships forward in a healthy manner.
10. You should think about the other person often but you should never compromise your intelligence
This is in regards to both your emotional and mental intelligence. While the other person should be a priority in your thoughts, never should that person make you feel stupid, weak or out of place in the relationship.
11. You should never compromise your integrity
What matters most in your life and how much you adhere to certain standards or principles can define who you are. You should never compromise your identity in a relationship.
12. Learn that you are not perfect and either is your partner
Yes, you are imperfect and you will make mistakes. The other person should be able to forgive you when mistakes are made rather than demand perfection from you.
Featured photo credit: Kiselev Andrey Valerevich via shutterstock.com