Attention all rookie entrepreneurs:
Attention all of you who have never thought of yourself as an entrepreneur (even if only for the fact that you can’t imagine having to spell “entrepreneur” all the time), but you don’t like working for anyone else, either. (I call this “entrepreneur by default”).
Attention all frustrated, disgruntled weekend warriors.
If you have a pulse and a dream (sorry, no vampires allowed), then I’m talking to you, buster.
In order to reduce the chances that you’ll use the excuse that it’s “too difficult and time consuming” or “I’m too busy”, I’m going to make this as simple as humanly possible.
#1 You are absolutely, without a doubt, capable of starting your own business right now.
#2 All you have to do in order to start your business is come up with a product or service of value to offer to other human beings (no offense to our furry friends, but they don’t have very deep pockets). Services are easier to come up with since they cost zero dollars to begin.
Here’s how to come up with a successful service
- Make a list of all of your skills, interests, and strengths.
- With those in mind, list at least 20 services that you could offer (don’t worry about whether or not anyone will actually pay you for them yet: that’s the worst thing you can do at this point. Resist!).
- Pick the top 5.
- Run them through the “will anyone pay me” test. (In order to do this, you will have to define who would pay you and if there are enough people in that category to make a decent living. It is highly encouraged to go out and contact these people or do other market research!)
To keep your motivation train rolling at light speed, I encourage you to check out these articles on Entrepreneurship:
- 21 Lessons from an Accidental Entrepreneur
- 8 Tips for Eliminating Excuses When Starting an Online Business Around Your Passion
- Ask the Entrepreneurs: 11 Bloggers to Follow for Lifestyle and Productivity Tips
Featured photo credit: Young couple in their kitchen via Shutterstock
Set a goal for yourself
"I'm going to inspire people around me by doing anything I can, even if it's something really small."Add To My Goal
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook