Here’s a rundown of the first 47 top-rated productivity extensions for Chrome (as of July 2013). It can be a pretty exhausting task trying to look through endless lists of extensions and apps, not knowing which ones will fit your needs best. Word of mouth is what I generally tend to rely on, as well as Top 10 lists.
This is not simply a list of the highest rated extensions. The Chrome shop mixes up the list with featured extensions and advertisements, which makes the list random and therefore unclear. The average person’s attention span is 8 seconds. So I took the first 47 and analysed them into something useful.
Sticking with the wisdom of the crowd and democratic choice, this article bases its list on a combination of 5/5 ratings and number of users from the first 47 results of the path Chrome shop – extensions – productivity – ratings. There is a brief description of the product and its pricing as well (although almost 100% are free).
13. AnswerQI: Tech answers on demand
14. Markdown Here
16. NeoBux AdAlert
17. Sound Control for Pandora
19. Looper for YouTube
20. Facebook QSearch
21.IQTELL EZ Bar – Get Things Done
22. Desprotector de Links
23. Tabs Outliner
24. Lingua Leo
25. Simple Window Saver
26. Comment Blocker
27. Panic Button Plus
28. Extensions Manager (aka Switcher)
29. Extensions (new tab)
31. Boards for Trello
32. Benchwarmer: Dribbble for Chrome
34. History Trends
35. Better TTV
40. New TAb Plus
41. AVG Do Not Track
43. Wikipedia Quick Hints
44. Browser QuickLinks
46. History Eraser
47. One Number
This has been an absolute revelation to me! I had no idea how many logins and passwords I had from over the years in my browsers. Having them all centralised and manageable from one place is, for me, one of the single greatest things I have encountered. Definitely worth it if you have a lot of logins in a lot of places. I hope it inspires better password habits in me.
“LastPass is a free online password manager and form filler that makes your web browsing easier and more secure. LastPass supports Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and Opera as a browser extension (and Opera Mini and more via Bookmarklets). To import Chrome passwords, you’ll also need our full installer available on http://lastpass.com/ You can import from most major password storage vendors (such as RoboForm, 1Password, KeePass, Password Safe, MyPasswordSafe, Sxipper, TurboPasswords, Passpack, Firefox and Internet Explorer’s built-in password manager) and export too.”
Free for PC; $12 per annum for mobile devices
Despite it’s negative past with bugs and malware, Smooth Gestures promises that this time around you won’t have any of that. The concept is great – make page navigation and other point-and-click options much easier by predefined movements. Less hand-cramp for me from my touchpad!
“This Mouse Gestures extension allows you to move the mouse while holding the right mouse button to trigger actions, such as page navigation or tab management. Supports click-and-drag (mouse gesture), click-and-scroll (scroll gesture), click-and-click (rocker gesture), and keyboard shortcuts!
• Powerful customization of gestures (and custom actions!)
• Supports diagonal gestures, import/export of settings
• Does not work on this extension website, or other built-in chrome pages due to security restrictions for extensions. But it does work on almost all http:// and https:// pages.”
The list below shows you what it can do. I am not too adventurous with my websites, I basically land on the same 15 – 20 every day. So I like checking back through my history to see where I’ve been. But if you do not have a personal laptop/computer, then it may be prudent to wipe it at the end of every day. This extension makes it simple and swift to clear everything.
“Deletes typed URLs, Cache, Cookies, your Download and Browsing History…instantly, with just 1-click on Click&Clean button Click&Clean is an innovative and totally free solution for your PC
that will help you to:
– Scan your PC for Malware
– Delete your browsing history,
– Remove download history,
– Erase temporary files,
– Clear cookies and Empty cache,
– Delete client-side Web SQL Databases
– Remove Flash Cookies (LSOs)
– Protect your privacy by cleaning up all traces of your internet activity,
– Clean up your hard drives and Free up more disk space, icluding secure file deletion using external applications, like CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner.– Watch flash videos offline, without being connected to the Internet!”Advertising
There’s a great review here from PC World. If you like to keep on top of your emails, doggedly fighting them off all day, this is a great extension for you. If you hate being bombarded, then avoid it! The best feature for me is the way I can assess the importance of the email before opening it.
“Displays new emails and the sender’s contact photo, get desktop notifications or even listen, read or delete them without opening a browser.
• The fastest and easiest way to manage multiple email accounts
• One of the highest rated Chrome extensions – featured many times on PCWorld
• Trusted developer of many extensions – more than one million satisfied users worldwide
• Lots of features, options and updates – just read the version changes in the logs below
• Extensive FAQs at jasonsavard.com
• Personal tech support from me (the developer) – very fast response times, 5-30 minutes
• I’ll add your suggestions
• Safer – requires less permissions and only access to Google Mail’s website”
Pricing: free5. Diigo Web Highlighter 5/5: 4,200; 208,332 users
As a researcher, it’s pretty awesome to be able to highlight and write notes on webpages, especially because bookmarking can just be too general. Many times I have gone back over a webpage FURIOUSLY scrolling for that quote I glanced over the day before. This would do very well in academic circles. More information here.
“Diigo is the #1 extension for annotating, archiving and bookmarking webpages. With this easy-to-use tool, you can”
1. Bookmark links to archive webpages or to read later
2. Attach highlights & stickies to a webpage as a reminder
3. Share pages with annotation via Twitter, Facebook, Google Buzz
4. Access anywhere, via iPhone, iPad (http://bit.ly/e2ujpL), Android (http://goo.gl/tvbuq).
5. Create groups to pool findings, share resources or curate content
6. Automatically cross-post to social bookmarking site Delicious (optional)”
If you are demon for having a mountain of tabs open, you might want to consider Session Buddy. Prevent tab loss and also speed up your browser by using this neat extension to make your tabby-licious life easier to handle – and save yourself from losing info for good.
“Manage Your Browser Sessions:
● View and save the state of all open browser tabs in the current or past browser sessions.
● Quickly restore your tabs and resume your web surfing after a browser or system crash.
● Edit the sessions you’ve saved and restore them into the desired set of windows at any time.
● Create a session from a list of URLs and export sessions to text or CSV format.
● Consolidate sessions and eliminate duplicate tabs with ease.”
Are you a Google product addict? I am becoming one. I was starting to think there would be no room whatsoever left on my screen what with all the little tabs taking me to other Google places. Thankfully, this little issue has been solved with a pop-up of all Google’s services in one button. Lovely!
“Choose from 160+ Google™ services to show up as buttons in a space-saving popup. Official Firefox extension port. Display all Google™ services as buttons in a space-saving popup next to your address bar. Reach services like Gmail, Google Reader, Google Maps, Google Calendar, and many more in just two clicks from your browser. The extension includes more than 160 Google services and websites.”
If the popularity of a video is important to you, then this ratings bar will make your life way easier when quickly searching for the top content.
“Show the likes and dislikes bar over every video thumbnail in YouTube so that you can know its rating before watching it. Throughout all youtube.com, this extension shows a bar of likes and dislikes under every video snapshot, just like the official one. In this way, you can view the rating of the videos before watching the actual video, so that you can avoid garbage and spot amazing ones. In addition, you can move your mouse to the bottom bar and a tooltip will show up to tell you the likes percentage and the total ratings count. You can also configure it to automatically highlight with a blue box the best videos in every page.”
There are a few of these “block me” extensions on the list. This ranked highest. If you really have a tough time staying on task when working on a computer, and you have no internet restrictions at work, you probably need a solution like this. The issue for me is that quite a bit of my work involves being on social media anyway :)
“StayFocusd is a productivity extension for Google Chrome that helps you stay focused on work by restricting the amount of time you can spend on time-wasting websites. Once your allotted time has been used up, the sites you have blocked will be inaccessible for the rest of the day. It is highly configurable, allowing you to block or allow entire sites, specific subdomains, specific paths, specific pages, even specific in-page content (videos, games, images, forms, etc).”
Pricing : free
Are you a shortcut hound? Vimium is maximising the amount you can get done with shortcut keys. If using a mouse is a pain to you, then check it out. It just takes a little learning to get the hang of.
“The Hacker’s Browser. Vimium provides keyboard shortcuts for navigation and control in the spirit of Vim.
*NOTE* Google does not allow Vimium to run on this gallery page and the Chrome New Tab page, by design.
As far as my research can tell, there is not a whole lot of difference between this and the more popular Google Shortcuts mentioned earlier. It is bigger and easier to read, perhaps, but essentially seems to do the same thing. One of those “personal preference” things, I guess.
“The one menu to access all your preferred google services with a single click. Quickly search almost everything google is capable of – get easy access to the most commonly used google services, available at any time. This extension is meant to be a replacement for both, iGoogle and the quickly removed google menu. This extension contains an extensive menu of google services. You can access them by browsing through the black menu entries. By clicking the menu entry of your choice, you’ll go to the corresponding google service in a new tab.”
What is there to say? It’s a calculator. The people’s favourite.
“Inspired by the fantastic calculator built into Google’s search engine, Cloudy Calculator handles many of the same kinds of calculations as Google does. In fact, if Cloudy Calculator can’t handle a calculation, it asks Google for the result (you’ll see a little “G” to the left of those calculations).”
“Get fast, quality answers and personalized help for your urgent technology problems from AnswerQi. When tech for work or home fails, you need instant help from real Experts. With AnswerQi for Chrome:
• Ask from any web page with 1-click
• Connect instantly to a tech Expert
• Chat, screenshare, call or get AnswerMail”
First question: free
1 question: $29
4 questions: $87
Unlimited: $79 per month
“Markdown Here lets you write email in Markdown and render it (make it pretty!) before sending.Advertising
This is great for anyone who doesn’t like fiddling around with formatting buttons while writing an email. It’s especially good for programmers who write email with code in them — it even supports syntax highlighting. And for the mathematicians among us: Markdown Here will render TeX formulae as well.
1. Write your email in your email client’s rich editor using Github-flavoured Markdown.
2. Right-click in the compose area and then click “Markdown Toggle”.
3. Your email is now pretty! (That is, it’s been rendered to HTML.)
4. If you like the way it looks, just send it. If you want to change or add something, click “Markdown Toggle” again to get back to your original Markdown. Rinse and repeat.”
“A beautiful scientific calculator inspired by the iPhone calculator! Get this extension to have fast access to a calculator! One click and the calculator is there! Really useful.”
*Only for Neobux users*
“An extension which notifies you when there are new advertisements available. AdAlert is NeoBux’s unique and exclusive browser extension. It takes almost no space at all and will notify you of new advertisements so that you’ll never miss one. Available Mini Jobs will also be displayed. You’ll also have your updated balance(s) at the distance of a single click without disturbing you from what you’re doing in your computer.
The extension will be automatically updated (depending on your browser’s settings) so that you’ll always have the latest version.”Advertising
*For Pandora users*
“Control Pandora from a browser button!
Click Once: play or pause
Twice: open the Miniplayer
Other configurable options include: skip a song, toggle between the pandora tab and back, thumb up or down. More Features: Keyboard shortcuts, Art on the button, Hidden tab, Audio ad volume, Skip “still listening”
“Quickly enable/disable Google Chrome extensions. Just enable the extension when you want to use it, and disable when you want to get rid of it for a little while. You can also launch Chrome Apps right from the list.
* Keep your browser fast – disable extensions that you won’t use right away.
* Keep your toolbar clean
* Ideal companion for extensions collectors.”
“With Looper for YouTube you will get a loop button under the YouTube player. After you press the button, video will repeat itself infinitely.
– ** Able to set default auto loop on every video **
– Able to set loop in a portion/range
– Able to set loop how many time you want
– Use Content Script without background page >> means less memory used
– Able to use keyboard shortcut ‘P’ to start loop
– Set “&loop=10” in url to start loop for 10 times
– Set “&start=00:10&end=01:00” to start loop from 10s to 1 min
– When loop button pressed the playlist auto-play will be disabled
– Able to set continue the playlist after loop number of times
– Support HTTPS and both flash&html5 version of player– Match latest (2013) YouTube style, and use YouTube’s repeat/loop iconAdvertising
– Translation on Chinese – display according to YouTube language
New Extra Features:
– Able to set auto video quality (e.g. Auto HD)
– Able to use ‘spacebar’ as play/pause video
– Able to set auto player size (i.e. normal, wide, wider)”
“Facebook QSearch – the fastest facebook wall search engine in the world. We can not search facebook wall in facebook. However, you can use QSearch. The Youtube video can show the powerful features of this engine. In QSearch, you can just retrieve your early articles in few seconds. Now, you can search your timeline, your friends’ timeline, or even the wall of pages you liked.”
*must be an active beta user to use it* 5/5: 40; 2,177 users
“The best productivity app. Anywhere, Any Time, Online or Offline!
Use the IQTELL EZ Bar extension for Google Chrome™ to quickly capture any items for later review directly in your IQTELL account. Never forget what you need to do; online or offline, easily create:
✔ Inbox items
✔ Actions & Next Actions (and set Contexts)
✔ Someday items
• Quick Clip – Right-click on any page or selected text to clip to your IQTELL Workspace.
• EZ Switch – Switch to your IQTELL Workspace in Chrome using a keyboard shortcut.
• EZ Open – Activate the EZ Bar using a keyboard shortcut.”
“Be redirected straight to the download page, by dodging link protectors. This extension fools the famous link protectors (pages that ask the user to sign in a paid service, usually connected to cell phones). Simply click on the Desprotetor de Links icon to be redirected to the download page! To ensure this extension’s efficiency, we are always looking for new link protectors and releasing extension updates. With each update, this extension’s efficiency will grow (you will be notified of new updates).”Advertising
“☀ Ultimate Overview – for all of your open, and not so open (read further), browser windows and tabs, in a resizable vertical side view, with a Tree Style Tab feature.
☀ A KILLER FEATURE – it has the unique ability to close and preserve “in place” any tab or window, without removing them from the original context in the tree. Then, if needed, reopen them in the same way you select already open windows or tabs.”
“Read any website in English easily with LinguaLeo Extension. Translate words and phrases, add your very own translations – and make these words and phrases part of your active English. With LinguaLeo extension, reading couldn’t be easier. You can translate words and phrases from English on the page you are reading. You will see a translation right near the text! To translate a word: double-click it or select it, then right-click it and choose “Add to dictionary” (for Opera): double-click it or hold Ctrl button and select the word. To translate an idiom (i.e. several words): select all the words, right-click on them, choose “Add to dictionary”. (for Opera): hold Ctrl button and select the words.”
“Simple Window Saver makes it super easy to save and restore windows. Keep one window for work tabs, one for Gmail and Facebook, and one for your vacation planning or the research on that new TV you want to buy. As the title reveals, simplicity is the name of the game. Unlike other session managers, Simple Window Saver remembers when you’ve saved a window and keeps track of changes.”Advertising
“Hides, blocks or modifies user generated comments automatically on web pages. Automatically removes and disguises user generated comments on web pages, or modifies them to be less depressing and/or harmful to your faith in humanity.”
Pricing: donate if desired
“Hide your tabs faster with single button or single key and restore them later. Panic Button Plus is the fastest and easiest way for you to hide all of your tabs with single button or with a single keyboard key. You can hide your tabs just by clicking the button or you can choose the EXTREME FAST HIDE OPTION, that will hide your tabs even faster.”
“Light popup manager to enable, disable, uninstall extensions, applications and themes quickly and easy. Now you can easily use the big collection of extensions,applications and themes, switching the necessary extension on the fly. To be able to toggle any set of items at once you can use user- defined groups. The list of extensions, applications and active or disabled can be narrow in view. Shortcuts to the options screen and enable/disable check box is also equipped with disabled controls, even those not displayed in the browser button, you can manage without having to open all the way extension management screen. Any list may be displayed over the keywords refinement. “Recent” view allows you to view installation,activation or deactivation of extensions in chronological order (ie sorted by event date and time).”Advertising
“Opens Extensions tab in single click. Simple. Options available to change icon and add/remove context menu item. Opens Extensions tab in single click. Simple. Other options:
1. Open from Context Menu
2. Change Icon
3. Add / Remove from context menu”
Pricing : free
“Shows your customer profiles from dozens of SaaS app when hovering over email. Zenbox brings all of your customer tools with you anywhere on the web! Hover over any email and you’ll see a complete customer profile pulled in from all of your tools. Integrations only take a single click to get setup – no programming! Integrates with many popular 3rd-party services: Salesforce, Desk.com (formerly Assistly), Zendesk, Stripe, UserVoice, Parse, Google Docs, Mailchimp, CSV Import, and more!”
“View a list of all of your Trello boards.Trello Boards presents a list of all your active Trello Boards on the extension bar, saving you the trouble of creating your own bookmarks to each new board created.
– Star your favourite boards to pin them to the top of the list
– Hide specific boards completely from the list
– New settings page
– Boards are grouped by Organisation – like on trello.com
– Quick filter/search box
– Improved authorisation”
“Benchwarmer is a simple extension that replaces your “New Tab” screen with a one that shows you the latest shots from your following feed, popular, debuts or everyone. Benchwarmer makes sure you’re always up to date with the latest Dribbble shots.”Advertising
“Save up to 95% memory and reduce tab clutter in Google Chrome. Whenever you find yourself with too many tabs, click the OneTab icon to convert all of your tabs into a list. When you need to access the tabs again, you can either restore them individually or all at once. When your tabs are in the OneTab list, you will save up to 95% of memory because you will have reduced the number of tabs open in Google Chrome.”
“Displays interactive charts and statistics of your entire browsing history. History Trends analyzes your entire browsing history and displays a variety of charts and statistics. It’s interactive, too: just click a link or a chart to filter your history by different criteria.
* Find your Top 10 most-used bookmarks: Click the “auto_bookmark” pie slice on the Transition Type chart.
* View the Top 10 domains you’ve visited today: Click the “Today” link in the “Daily Stats” section.
* Find out what URLs you visit at 3 in the morning: On the “Time of Day” chart, click the bar (if it exists) for 3am, then click the URLs tab.”
“Enhances Twitch with new features, bug fixes, and reduced clutter.”
“Screen capture, share & bookmark instantly. You can also tag, search and filter/markup screenshot beautifully.
– Screen capture anything you can see.
– Source links, page titles, texts are captured at the same time.– Email: Drag the Recent clip from the Clipular chrome extension into gmail and share visually.Advertising
– One-click to Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Google Plus from the Clipular chrome extension.
– Paste to share encrypted link directly after snapping/clipping.
– Screenshots are auto-saved to www.clipular.com
– You can also save locally to your desktop/folder: drag the Recent clip from the extension to desktop.
– Annotate/filter screenshots with the Magic Wand.
– Organize screenshots with tags.
– Search texts inside screenshots.
– Also flash game screenshots”
“Yesware is a free Gmail service that tracks email so you close deals faster. By installing Yesware you’ll never have to guess who opened your email or waste time copy/ pasting consistent messaging again.
– Email tracking- Get notified who read your email as well as when, where, and what device opened your message.
– Templates- Instantly use custom templates and share the highest reply rates with your team so you save time and use the best messaging.
– CRM Sync- Sync your CRM with the push of a button to cut your data entry time.
– Reports and Analytics- View automated reports to manage your progress and to see who you should follow up with.
Yesware is the perfect plug-in for any salesperson or avid email user because it works in Gmail where you do. Install now to stop guessing who opened your message and to save time emailing.”
“Keep track of how you spend your time on the web. Web Timer is a simple and intuitive extension that lets you keep track of how you’re spending your time on the web. Web Timer keeps track of the tab that you are actively using and updates its stats every 3 seconds. Features: – Helps you visualize the time you’re spending by displaying the data in a pie chart – Keeps track of stats for today, daily average, and all-time – Stops counting if your machine is idle for more than 30 seconds – Only counts time when Chrome has focus – Shows the number of minutes spent on current website over the icon – Easily share your Web Timer stats with friends”Advertising
“Lightning fast search through Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Dropbox, Evernote and much more. Lightning fast search through Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Dropbox, Evernote and much more. Put your mind at ease. Magically find anything when you need it the most. Lightning fast search across Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Dropbox, Evernote, Box and much more.”
Free up to 50 previews a month
$4.99 per month for unlimited views
“New Tab Plus is an extended application of the Chrome browser which is based on HTML5. It offers several features such as speed. It provides speed dials for top or popular sites, and is easier to open your installed chrome apps. More importantly, it organizes hundreds of popular sites’ logo in the cloud, so that users could add any of their favorite sites on demand. Do not worry about losing your choice it will save users’ customized configuration in the cloud. Meantime, it has some more useful functionality e.g. real-time weather reports, organized bookmark, recent visited sites and cloud background pages. In one word, its goal is to improve the user experience of original Chrome New Tab.”
“AVG Do Not Track lets you articulate your decision not to be tracked by some websites, applications and advertising networks. Enhance your online internet privacy, protection and security with AVG Do Not Track! See which websites, applications and Ad Networks are tracking your information (using cookie technology) and choose whether or not to allow it. AVG Do Not Track helps you identify websites that are collecting data about your online activities through cookie technology. Once you install it, an icon in your browser will display the websites or advertisers collecting data about your activity and give you the choice to allow or block it. This way you can take control over your online identity to give you enhanced online privacy, security and protection.”Advertising
“Crackbook is a Chrome extension for discouraging use of attention-sucking websites such as Facebook or Reddit. The idea behind Crackbook is that delaying access to the website is more effective than straight blocking because you are less likely to just disable the block after a while.The extension will delay every hit to blacklisted site. The delay is just a few seconds initially, but it increases slightly on every hit.”
“Display quick description of the terms in the Wikipedia article. A simple extension that makes reading Wikipedia articles more convenient. When reading how often do you have to open an additional cross-article just to glimpse quickly at the meaning of a term you do not know?
Now with Wikipedia Quick Hints getting definitions of unknown terms has become as simple as just hovering the cursor over a respective link. The definition pops up automatically. Images zooming is another useful feature of the extension.”
“Click a single button to quickly jump to a number of useful, but often hidden features in chrome. Chrome is as we all know the best browser by far, but sometimes it is difficult to find some of the more useful but hidden features, like:
• Accessing your bookmarks
• Viewing your browsing History
• Seeing your download history
• Managing your installed extensions
• Manage your installed plug-ins
• Checking out your memory utilisation
• Changing your browser settings”
“* Price ticker. Constantly shows the current exchange rate between two currencies of your choice, including BTC. Changes color to show climbing/diving price.* Currency converter. Includes precious metals, virtual currencies and the most common fiat currencies. If it’s missing yours just ask for it!Advertising
* Desktop notifications (with optional sounds) for when the ticker price exceeds some user defined bounds.”
“Few key features:
+ Instant removal with one-click
+ View, Edit, Backup and Clear Chrome history
+ Clear download history
+ Empty the cache
+ Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
+ Clear saved passwords
+ Clear saved form data
+ Ability to choose time period
+ Extra features!
This lightweight extension enables you to do all that mentioned above instantly,
with one click on the Eraser icon in the Chrome toolbar.”
“Check Gmail, Google Reader, and Google Voice. Many sources, one number.
– Check your favorite Google services (GMail, Reader, Voice, hopefully more coming).
– Only one toolbar button, shows you all you need to know.
– Notifications when something new pops up.
– Customization options and tweaks for every step of the process.
– A nice big “0” when you’ve read everything!”
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook