20 Tips That'll Make Your Blog Work
Tom Johnson has done his homework and put together 20 usability tips for blog writers from a range of resources. I think he’s hit the nail on the head on almost every point.
- 1. Pick a topic for your blog. Having a specific focus actually gives you more to write about. Like a novel, your blog takes on direction and purpose.
- 2. Encourage comments. Allow comments, and respond to comments.
- 3. Make it easy to subscribe. Make it easy to subscribe to your feed by placing an orange RSS button in a highly visible location. Route your feed through Feedburner so you can keep track of your subscribers.
- 4. Include an About page.
- 5. Present your ideas visually. Long blocks of text aren’t read.
- 6. Keep posts short and to the point.
- 7. Use subheadings for long posts.
- 8. Link abundantly. Links increase readership and let others know you’re writing about them.
- 9. Make headlines descriptive.
- 10. Archive by topic. Rather than date.
- 11. Include a list of related posts beneath each post.
- 12. Allow users to contact you offline.
- 13. Present your real viewpoint. Be yourself and speak your mind.
- 14. Write for your future employer. You should know that your future employer, and possibly your current employer, will read it.
- 15. Include a Top Posts section.
- 16. Provide an index. Providing an index readers can quickly scan is an excellent way to let users skim your entire post collection.
- 17. Get your own URL and match it to your blog’s title.
- 18. Include a Recent Posts section in your sidebar.
- 19. Reward commenters for commenting. Add the Show Top Commenters plugin.AdvertisingAdvertising
- 20. Post often.
Twenty Usability Tips for Your Blog — Condensed from Dozens of Bloggers’ Experiences – [IdRatherBeWriting]
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook