Some travel to a city to visit the monuments, museums, and other tourist attractions. For others, you must travel to experience the culture and life. Wherever you end up, you must find the top restaurants to eat at. So why not coordinate your travel around the world’s best restaurants?
1. Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
This two Michellin star restaurant run by chef René Redzepi focuses on reinvented Nordic cuisine and unusual local ingredients including reindeer moss and cod liver. Make a reservation because this 45-seat dockside restaurant is full every evening.
2. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
The three Roca brothers (Joan, Jordi, and Juan) have created an amazing restaurant that generally requires a reservation months in advance. It is a freestyle restaurant with a focus on the avant-garde and the traditions from generations past. With three Michelin stars, it is a must visit when you are in the Barcelona area.
3. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
Chef Massimo Bottura creates both avant-garde dishes alongside the traditional Italian staples and modern classics. There is something for everyone whether you want to try a foie gras crunch or tortellini with parmesan sauce. Why choose only one category? Try all three at Osteria Francescana.
4. Eleven Madison Park, New York, USA
Chef Daniel Humm, a three Michellin star and six James Beard Awards winner, brings New York’s local agriculture and mixes it with old-world culinary traditions to bring out his tasting menu at Eleven Madison Park.
5. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London, UK
Chef Ashley Palmer Watts brings historical British food to life at this two Michelin star restaurant where traditional food gets a new twist to enhance the experience.
6. Mugaritz, San Sebastián, Spain
Mugaritz, a two Michelin star restaurant, is a place where you can let your imagination play. The food is created with the expectation of letting your senses play and the chefs aim to break all conventional culinary norms.
7. D.O.M, Sao Paulo, Brazil
D.O.M. has been ranked as one of the top restaurants in South America. Chef Alex Atala uses Brazilian ingredients to bring his dishes alive, full of creativity, zest, and color.
8. Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain
Chefs Juan Mari Arzak and Elena Arzak Espina, an unmistakable father/ daughter duo, make Arzak soar bringing in traditional elements of the Basque cuisine and reworking the mainstay dishes with their own flair. It is a must stop for both food tourists and locals in San Sebastian.
9. Alinea, Chicago, USA
Chef and owner, Grant Achatz, takes you on a culinary tour as you have the tasting menu at Alinea. Known for the incredible food preparations and deconstruction of food, this meal will be one that you will not forget. Alinea is a three star Michelin restaurant in Chicago, and your taste buds will be jumping around with all of the flavors and sights of the “tour” tasting menu. Be sure to not plan anything else for your evening as your 23 course tasting menu will probably take four and a half hours and will be enough entertainment for the entire night.
10. The Ledbury, London, UK
Chef Brett Graham creates modern Australian cooking and is the first two Michelin star Australian chef. His food warms the palate and focuses on local flavors and baking to bring out its dishes. Have the chef’s tasting menu or order a la carte and try some delicious Aussie inspired creations.
The list continues on as these top restaurants make it difficult to choose the best with the top 50.
11. Mirazur, Menton, France
12. Vendome, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
13. Nahm, Bangkok, Thailand
14. Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
15. Central, Lima, Peru
16. Steirereck, Vienna, Austria
17. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand
18. Astrid y Gastón, Lima, Peru
19. Fäviken Järpen, Sweden
20. Pujol, Mexico City, Mexico
21. Le Bernardin, New York, USA
22. Vila Joya, Albufeira, Portugal
23. Restaurant Frantzén, Stockholm, Sweden
24. Amber, Hong Kong, China
25. L’Arpège, Paris, France
26. Azuermendi, Larrabetzu, Spain
27. Le Chateaubriand, Paris, France
28. Aqua, Wolfsburg, Germany
29. De Libreije, Zwolle, Netherlands
30. Per Se, New York, USA
31. L’Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon, Paris, France
32. Attica, Melbourne, Australia
33. Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo, Japan
34. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Spain
35. Martin Beragategui, San Sebastian, Spain
36. Mani, Sao Paolo, Brazil
37. Restaurant Andrew, Singapore
38. L’Astrance, Paris, France
39. Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy
40. Daniel, New York, USA
41. Quique Dacosta, Denia, Spain
42. Geranium, Copenhagen, Denmark
43. Schloss Schauenstein, Furstenau, Switzerland
44. The French Laundry, Yountville, USA
45. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium
46. Le Calandre, Rubano, Italy
47. The Fat Duck, Bray, UK
48. The Test Kitchen, Cape Town, South Africa
49. Coi, San Francisco, USA
50. Waku Ghin, Singapore
Featured photo credit: Ulterior Epicure via flic.kr
Get An Awesome Life
Love this article? Share it with your friends on FacebookRead full content