You might think you know the laws that govern your country, but do you really? Everyone knows they cannot murder, and you know you cannot steal and shouldn’t speed in the car, but what if you live in North Carolina and you like to play bingo? Watch out, because if you hold three or more bingo sessions per week, you could get arrested. Oh, and make sure those two legal sessions do not exceed five hours apiece. All over the United States, there are laws that were probably made for a good reason, but sound absolutely weird to most of us. While we might feel like they don’t need to be followed, the truth is that it is the law whether we like it or not and unless you want to face a consequence, you should probably pay attention. The following are ten of the weirdest laws in the USA.
- If you like to roller skate or ride a bike, don’t move to Biddeford, Maine, where it is illegal for someone to roller skate or bike-ride bike on the sidewalks. The street is a much safer place for your kids to have fun, right? Of course if you want to risk it and make them skate and ride on the sidewalk, you may be looking at a whopping $10 fine.
- Most people understand the requirements to be able to vote: you have to be a legal resident at least eighteen years or older, and a registered voter. So what if you’re a complete idiot? If you are, don’t plan on voting any time soon in New Mexico; idiots, felons, and insane people are not allowed to go to the polls.
- Got a pet elephant? Make sure that if you live in Norco, California, that you have a permit for that elephant. In fact, go ahead and get a pet leopard, a bear, or even a hippo; just make sure you get a permit for each of your animals. Without a permit, the authorities will ship your pet back to where it came from. If you’re considering breeding your pets and already have a permit, you don’t have to pay for any of the immature offspring!
- If you live in Youngstown, Ohio be sure that you always have a full tank of gas in your car. It’s simply not worth the consequences you will face if you run out, as it is actually against the law to run out of gas.
- Taking kids to the arcade just won’t be much fun in South Carolina. If you have children under the age of eighteen, it is illegal for them to play pinball machines. I’m sure they could watch you play the game, but where’s the fun in that?
- If your favorite color is red or black, you might want to stay away from West Virginia. The state code makes it illegal for anyone to display a red or a black flag. Forget about even possessing one, as that is also unlawful.
- Firefighting is hard work. Sometimes the firefighters get stressed and a curse word might slip out of their mouth on the job. If you are a firefighter in New Orleans, Louisiana, make sure to hold your tongue: it is illegal for a firefighter to curse while on the job in that state.
- When riding a horse in Indianapolis, Indiana, keep the speed down. It is unlawful to ride or drive a horse faster than ten miles per hour on a city street, so no horse racing.
- Before you head to the polls in Alabama, be 100% sure of who you want to vote for. When voting, state code only allows you 5 minutes to make your decision, and any delay in your decision could get you kicked out of the booth. Then you’re done.
- If you plan to take your kids out on the town in Walnut, California, be sure to change them out of their dress-up clothes first: no-one is allowed to wear any disguise, specifically a mask, on public streets. Unless, that is, you have obtained a permit from the local sheriff.
Laws are meant to protect people and to keep us safe, so while some of these may seem weird, it is important that we know what they are and that we abide by them.
A list of fashion laws (Yes, laws, not tips, nor suggestions) that all men should follow.: 20 Fashion Laws That All Men Should Follow
Set a goal for yourself
Add To My Goal
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook