I am completely loving the autumn colours! Mornings are cool and crisp and smell so good and the colours are brilliant in the full sunshine. For me autumn more than any other time of the year, feels to me that it is your last chance to soak up the sun and it get ready for the grayer winter months. It is like you are charging your battery for the winter. Any chance your get it is a great time to re-energize, re-charge outside in nature, then that is totally want you want to be doing.
There are numerous advantages to going outside every day!
Benefits of Spending Time Outdoors
- The sun’s light is a powerful source of energy for the human body. Because it provides you with the essential nutrient Vitamin D, sunlight can benefit the strength of your bones, your moods and your overall health. You should also check in with your doctor with regards to adding a Vitamin D supplement for the winter months when you don’t get out in the sun as much.
- Spending time outdoors can help relieve stress and tension. Breathe in the fresh air, enjoy the sunshine or the clouds, and take a short walk before going back inside. You’ll notice a difference in your mood. If the weather allows, it is very calming to sit outside and meditate for 15 -20 minutes. It is a beautiful feeling.
- Fresh air and sunshine can help you regain focus. Spending a brief period of time outside in-between work tasks can benefit you greatly. Take a quick walk around the block or spend 20 minutes working in your garden, touching and connecting with the earth.
- Going outside can also benefit your physical fitness. Whether you’re raking leaves, gardening, playing with a child, or pet or simply taking a walk, you’re sure to burn extra calories. Spending an hour or more outside every day can translate into significant calorie use throughout the week.
There are plenty of ways that you can get outdoors more.
Just do it!
- Go beachcombing. If you live near the ocean, a lake, or a river, you can find plenty of interesting items as you walk along the edge of the water. Collect shells, pebbles and other trinkets from nature while enjoying some leisure time by yourself, with a loved one, or with your entire family.
- Take a walk. Whether you’re walking to get somewhere or simply for pleasure, the combination of fresh air, sunshine, and cardiovascular benefits make taking a walk outdoors a smart move, especially if you work it into your daily routine.
- Get in touch with nature. Whether you go bird watching, flower picking, whale watching, fishing, or simply go out to take photographs, nature can be a beautiful place to be. Immersing yourself in this beauty is one of the greatest benefits of spending time outside.
- Play. If you have children or a pet that would enjoy playing outside, then use them as an excuse to get more play into your schedule. Try a sport, an outdoor game, going to a dog park for a game of fetch, or anything else that might get you active and outdoors during the day. Football and soccer are fun sports that you can involve the whole family in.
- Meditate in the garden. Take 15-20 minutes to sit in the garden. If you are lucky enough to have a place to sit and just drift into your own little world that is best. Try to find a time of the day when it is quiet for you. Recently I spent time in the evening, meditating in my hot tub under a brilliant full moon, it was amazing.
- Ride your bike. Ride to the store or work each day. Not only will this get you outside to soak up some Vitamin D, but it also offers numerous cardiovascular and health benefits, in addition to being eco-friendly. I love riding my bike and when I lived in the Okanagan I was able to ride my bike all year round. It is a little too wintry here, but there is still “quading” or sledding.
- Sit around the campfire. While it is not the sunshine, it is a light that can make a brilliant impact. It is lovely if you have a fire pit on your porch or in your yard, any time of the year. Sitting out outside around the fire, enjoying the fresh air, meditating while watching the flames or just chatting and drinking hot chocolate with some friends. Nature, Fresh air and good friends what could be better for re-energizing your spirit.
Setting a goal to spend at least 30 minutes outside each and every day, whether you are active or just quietly absorbing the energy that the natural elements can give to you. You will begin to feel the power that can be yours when you allow it to flow through nature to you.
Featured photo credit: Wind turbines farm via Shutterstock
Love this article? Share it with your friends on FacebookRead full content