Same Old, Same Old?
Do you find yourself doing the same things day in and day out? To use a metaphor, are you listening the the same songs of life every day? If so, why not hit the shuffle button on your life and let a new tune rev up your day, your creativity, and your energy!
I like how the shuffle button queues up a song that I wouldn’t normally choose. It expands my thinking down new paths. Let these ideas do the same thing for you life. Here’s a random number generator you can use to choose which one of these things to try today.
New “Tunes” to Play
1. Say Yes. Say yes to something that will expand your horizons. Maybe it’s that wedding across the country. What will it be for you? Say yes! See what this could open you up to!
2. Say No. Say no to the endless requests for your time. The unnecessary meetings, dinners, and more that you find yourself going to all the time. Bow out for a change and instead use that time to make a “date” with yourself. What have you been itching to do? Do it!
3. Be a Tourist. Pick a touristy thing to do in your own town or city that you’ve never done before. Bring a friend or go alone. Make a point to say hi and meet a few new people. Have fun.
4. Take a Drive. Take an hour or more drive to a fun destination. Some ideas: museums, zoos, tours, nature parks, county fair, etc. The longer the drive the better. Make a point to enjoy the drive. If you bring a friend, enjoy the time for good conversation. If you go alone, enjoy some music or a podcast or even just quiet time to think. If you come up with some brilliant ideas along the way, you can always speed-dial Jott to record your ideas when you can’t write them down.
5. Nighttime Lights Out Break. This is great to do if you have kids, but you can quite as easily do this on your own too. When it’s time for your kids to go to bed, lay with them in their bed until they fall asleep. There may be some chatting at first, but once things are quiet, use that dark quiet time to think about things. I use this time to think about what I really need to do next. After the kids are asleep, I go and get started on one of them or write down my plans for the next day. If you don’t have kids, set a time in the evening to go into your bedroom. Turn off the lights, lie down, and just take 10-15 minutes to think about whatever you want! Then turn on the lights and write down your ideas.
6. Get Some Arts! Choose something you don’t normally do. Some choices: museums, art gallery openings, musicals, plays, outdoor theater, etc. Check the arts section of your local paper. Make a date with yourself or a friend and go!
7. Rock Out! It’s summer time! (At least up here in the Northern Hemisphere) There are plenty of concerts to go to. When was the last time you went? Remember how much fun it was? Now, pick one! Go! Enjoy!
8. Go on an Adventure. What could you do that will make your heart race, get you excited? Some ideas: bungee jumping, hiking, playing paint-ball, waterslides, playing night time hide and seek, watch a scary movie. What do you suggest?
9. Do the Opposite. If you are normally very social, going out a lot, take some quiet time, all by yourself. No TV. Just you and your thoughts. If you are normally not a social butterfly, get yourself to a social event. Call that friend or co-worker of yours that is social and ask them to suggest where you should go. Then go and break out of your shell. Meet some new people. See what good things come of it! Even if this is hard for you, try it. When we do things that are difficult we grow.
10. Creative Time. Begin or work on that creative project you’ve been daydreaming about. You could: build something, knit a sweater, make a collage, paint a painting, color with crayons, make a kite, bake a cake, write a book, start a blog, whatever. Remember that book you bought on crafts or building projects? Dig it out and start a project. Have fun!
K. Stone is author of Life Learning Today, a blog about daily life improvement Should You Start Your Own Work at Home Business?, How to Stop Being “Busy” and Live Your Dream Life, How to Write a Book in 60 Days or Less, A Game That Will Improve Any Relationship, and The Ultimate iPhone Decision Tool.
Love this article? Share it with your friends on FacebookRead full content