Are YOU a Survivor?
When David Zinger of Slacker Manager asked his readers to answer a simple question – “How’s work?”, nearly 500 readers responded. The results were positive i.e. most of them were satisfied with their jobs. They were the ones who had survived the tough times. Then there were some who hated everything about their jobs and were longing for a change.
Ever wondered why some people survive their jobs while others struggle to find a foot hold? Following are some of my thoughts (in no particular order) on what sets “the survivors” apart:
- High Self-confidence – They believe in themselves, their abilities to take any beating and still get back on their feet.
- Good Interpersonal Skills – They build relationships with people they like as well as those who they dislike; With their subordinates, peers and superiors: From the CEO to the mail room dude. The survivors are seen as familiar likable personalities.
- No Room for Sentiments – They do not let the relationships they build get personal because they are professionals. They know that when it gets personal, it influences their judgement.
- Strong Ethics – They have ethics and they stick to it. Their ethics may seem un-ethical to others but they do what they believe is the right thing to do.
- The Gut Feeling – They go with their gut feeling even if it may be most unfavorbale unpopular choice. They are not afraid of making mistakes ‘coz they know they can make the wrong decision and still make it all right.
- Perseverance – They never give up. They’re tough and can excel under pressure. Their moto: what does not kill me, makes me stronger.
What about you? Are you a survivor?
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook