Lowered libido happens from time to time, especially in today’s fast-paced, rat race world. We are our own worst enemies doing too much, eating too poorly, and failing to take care of ourselves. The best advice I have for my female friends who experience diminished sex drive is to slow down, take time to meditate and rest, get regular exercise, and improve nutrition by eating a diet rich in plant-based whole foods.
Some considerations for dietary changes that directly affect a woman’s flagging sexual energy include natural supplements. Many are in your pantry right now. It is really a blessing that pharmaceutical companies have not cracked the case for boosting women’s sexual performance. While pharmaceuticals such as Viagra provide relief for men, they also bring potential harm. Natural supplements are a safer and often more effective solution!
Natural Aphrodisiacs for Your Female Libido
Aphrodisiacs are defined as “foods, drinks or drugs that stimulate sexual desire.” These six natural aphrodisiacs have been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda practices. Ayurveda is the traditional medicine of India that focuses on making the right choices for your body and mind. Try these Ayurvedic recommendations in your daily regimen to bring the heat back!
- Cacao. Raw cacao nibs are a tasty super food with many benefits, including aphrodisiac properties. Cacao contains anandamide, which is known as the “bliss molecule.” It is packed with healthful magnesium, phosphorous, antioxidants, and libido-enhancing arginines and methylxanthines. If that is not enough to make your swap your semi-sweet chocolate chips for cacao in your favorite recipes, it also contains phenylethylamine, known as the “love chemical,” that releases dopamine in your brain during sex!
- Fenugreek. Another tasty way to boost libido is the seed of this plant. Fenugreek was used as an aphrodisiac by ancient peoples in Rome, Egypt, and Greece. Its taste is a bit like maple syrup or butterscotch and is used to flavor foods such as imitation maple syrup and in spice blends such as Ethiopian berbere. In India, its leaves are eaten as a vegetable. Used for centuries by women and men to increase sex drive, it also promotes healthy breast tissue and improves milk production in lactating women. The key is its phytoestrogens. Some say this natural supplement can increase breast size. Whether or not it can give you fuller breasts, it’s an easy safe way to try to boost libido or bra size.
- Warming Spices. Many Ayurveda practices for boosting libido and metabolism are about increasing the heat of your diet. Cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg are warming herbs that increase blood flow in the abdominal and pelvic regions. They are said to stimulate your appetite for both food and sex. You can take these in capsule form, but they are easy to add to many recipes, especially hot drinks like tea. Or try pickled ginger. The blood-pumping effects of these delicious spices increase vaginal moisture and intensify sexual pleasure.
- Shatavari. Also called Shatavri, Satavar or Shatamull, it is an adaptogenic herb that has been used as a female rejuvenation tonic in India for centuries. It strengthens and tones the reproductive system, provides relief from menstrual and menopausal imbalances, and is an effective remedy for PMS. Shatavari is traditionally called “she who has 1,000 husbands” and is thought to increase a woman’s libido to give her the strength and desire to have 1,000 husbands!
- Dates. This exotic, moist fruit adds sweetness and richness to many recipes and to your love life. In Arabic cultures, a traditional aphrodisiac is concocted by mixing dates with milk and cinnamon This super fruit contains fiber and many essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for overall well-being. And the healthier you are, the more energy and interest you will have for romance.
- Shilajit. During warmer summer months in the high altitudes of the Himalayas, this tar-like mineral compound seeps from the rocks. Ayurvedic practitioners have used shilajit as a natural supplement for millennia. As with many ancient things, it is known by many names and spellings including shilajeet, silajit, mumio, mumiyo, mumijo, mineral pitch, asphaltum, and more. Users of shilajit claim increased stamina for both exercise and sexual activity. It has been used as an aphrodisiac and a fertility treatment for both women and men. While this mineral is harder to come by than other natural supplements, it is available. Look for the highest grade shilajit from the Himalayas because only it has the desired properties. Avoid extracts, powders and liquids—look for it in its resin form.
Give these a try for spicing up your meals and your love life. Remember to slow down to devote time to yourself and to making these small changes to add natural aphrodisiacs to your diet. Savor the moments of your life and you will find a greater sense of fulfillment in everything you do. Now, where is my cacao coconut ball recipe?!
Actively engaging in sex is a necessity to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. 8 Unexpected Health Benefits of Sex You Didn’t Know About
Set a goal for yourself
"I will drink enough water every day by following these daily tips."Add To My Goal
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook