Everyone experiences times throughout the day where you just wish you could relax for even a few minutes. Sometimes I feel that I could really spend the day relaxing. We already know that relaxation helps your body re-energize, but sometimes you’re so busy and caught up in the moment that you just don’t have the time to unwind. Well, fortunately there are simple ways to relax, even during your busiest days, that don’t require a lot of time or equipment.
So often, we think that we can’t afford to take an hour or two out of our busy day, we feel as if we would get further behind. But relaxation doesn’t need to take that long, 5-10 minutes can be enough to get us going again and help us make it to the end of the day.
5 Simple Relaxation Tips:
Lined up: Instead of stressing out because there aren’t enough cashiers and every line has 5 people with heaping carts of groceries, or when traffic is so bad that it is taking you 30 minutes to move 1 mile, use that time to relax your body by taking some deep breaths.
- Deep breathing helps increase the oxygen in your blood. Your blood then circulates that extra oxygen throughout your body, helping your inner systems recharge.
- Taking five slow deep breaths will do the trick. The proper technique is to inhale and exhale deeply through your nose and out your mouth. I like to use a 5 count, count to 5 as you breath in, hold count to 5 and then breath out count to 5.
- Not only will deep breathing help you relax, it’ll help to clear your mind, reduce brain fog, and you’ll feel much more alert and ready to tackle the next project on your plate.
- Deep breathing can be done anywhere when you’re feeling stressed or just want to clear your mind.
Workplace Relaxing: It’s often hard to find time to relax at work. You might even get in trouble if you’re caught “relaxing.” Oh the horror! However, there are some techniques you can do while you’re at work to help create a sense of calm that aren’t so obvious to others.
- If your job requires you to sit at a computer all day, make sure you get up and move around for a few minutes every hour. This helps circulate the blood throughout your body. Just moving the blood flow will make you feel more alert and focused. Take the stairs up to the next floor to use the washroom, a break and get your bold pumping at the same time.
- While sitting at your desk, roll your head around, from side to side and from front to back with your eyes closed. This technique helps to relieve neck tension, increasing blood flow to your brain, which is a natural and easy way to relax. My chiropractor has recommended specific neck stretches for me, check with your doctor for some techniques specific to you.
- During a break or lunchtime, go for a walk. Walking is a great way to clear your mind and your body will benefit from the extra exercise as well. If you take a look around your city, you might even be able to find a yoga class during the lunch period, this would be a great way to come back to work ready and productive.
Feeling the Rush: Take just a few moments to daydream and escape the busyness of reality.
- Daydreaming lets your imagination flow, causing instant relief from the stress of the real world.
- Think of a place or experience that makes you feel happy or calm. Imagine how it smells, how the air feels, and who’s around. A past vacation or a future vacation a great way to vision your next year.
- After five minutes of a calming daydream you’ll feel relaxed, reenergized and ready to face the real world again.
Smile: Smiling is proven to help relax and rejuvenate your body.
- When you’re out and about, smile at others around you. Have you noticed when you are walking down the street or at the mall, when you smile at someone passing you by…. you can see their whole face lights up with a big smile as well. So you are creating a great experience for you as well as for others.
- When you’re at work, smile at your co-workers. Not only will it help you relax, it’ll help relax them as well.
Laugh it up: Laughter’s proven to be an instant stress reliever. Now I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want to be seen as a nut case, so laughing out loud when you’re in line at the store or sitting at your desk may not be the best time. When you can, get someone involved in your laughter with you.
- Tell a funny joke or story to a co-worker (at an appropriate time, of course).
- Play a fun game or sing a silly song with your kids as you’re driving.
- Watch funny videos on YouTube or TV. I love watching cartoons… with or without my kids! And my kids are hysterical, you just let them tell you a story and you will be rolling on the floor laughing.
Engaging in these simple, everyday relaxation techniques will help to sustain and strengthen you throughout your day. Most of these ideas really only take 5-10 minutes are most to make a huge impact. Just think about what would happen if you spent 30-60 minutes, you would be changing your world for you and the people around you. Your friends, co-workers, and family will all appreciate the new, relaxed you!
The following selection of online games will help you find some inner peace; they will relax and calm, and promote stimulation for tired minds. 10 Relaxing Online Games to Help Chill You Out
Set a goal for yourself
"Without good health, it's hard to enjoy life. So I'm going to keep myself and my loved ones always healthy."Add To My Goal
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook