Does the journey you’re on define you? Or, do you define the journey?
I think it varies depending on the person. Some of us conform and follow the status quo, while others make the decision to write their own script; they choose to look at life without limits. The only difference between these two groups of people is the second group made a conscious choice to take action on their passions and dreams.
Introducing a new way of looking at the journey and the pursuit we’re all on:
I like to refer to this process, which has been given many names (lifestyle design, live on your own terms, paid to exist, find your passion, follow your dreams, etc.), as H.A.F.F.—the process of becoming happy, awake, fulfilled, and free. Each has a very specific meaning and place in putting together a strategy for your vision of the future.
- Happy means to live your life on your terms; to have passion for your life and the work you do in it; to find joy in the moments and the clarity in your struggles.
- Awake is becoming aware that dreams can actually come true, and aren’t just for the highly talented and prestigious. It’s about opening your eyes and discovering your true potential and deepest desires.
- Fulfilled is something you will become on your journey. There will come a time when you understand the true meaning of your life and place in it; when everything comes together and you realize your place in the world and how you can use it to make a difference and discover the true power of giving.
- Free means what I can only describe as having true freedom in all aspects of life; having the ability to use your knowledge and expertise to create a life where you can become financially free and live life on your own terms.
This may resonate with you and it may not. The important thing to remember is that your path will look different from mine. That’s a good thing—you will come up with your own definitions. What makes me H.A.F.F. is knowing that the vision I see for my future is one of constant possibilities for progressing and moving forward in both my life and my journey to make the world a better place.
Here are three highly effective techniques to becoming your definition of happy, awake, fulfilled, and free:
1. Change your Perception
If you want to start the process of becoming H.A.F.F., you need to start putting yourself in a frame of mind which allows you to look at life from an optimistic point of view. You need to be open to the idea that anything is possible, and you need to change anything negative in your life into a positive. Changing your perception of how you see your life can prove to be difficult, especially if there are a lot of negative factors in your life. So how do you do it?
- Put yourself in an environment that inspires you to believe.
- Surround yourself with positive people who also believe that anything is possible.
- Read books and articles that inspire change
2. Discover your Purpose
The difference between people who are fully immersed in becoming happy, awake, fulfilled, and free, and those who live a life of suffering, negativity, mediocrity, regret, etc., is that the first group has taken action on changing their mindset to pursue something greater than themselves. We all have a deep need to be loved and to matter.
Those of us who are on the path of changing our circumstances and going against the status quo come to understand that the path brings positive change for ourselves, but more importantly, it helps us realize the importance of helping others who are on the same path. There is a far greater reward: having a purpose greater than yourself. Doing so includes using your knowledge and experience of what you’ve learned on your journey to make a difference in the lives of others, and in the world. Only then can truly start your journey to becoming happy, awake, fulfilled, and free.
Below are some techniques that can make the transformation from egoism to altruism more acceptable. Seeing as how we are egoistic in nature, you need to change your focus to the others in your environment.
- Build stronger relationships– Give the people who are closest to you your full, conscious attention. We are social beings and need the connections with others to push us, move us, inspire us, and help us when we need them. Give yourself to your environment and you will receive an abundance of happiness and fulfillment, just by knowing you matter to those around you.
- Connect– Connecting with the people who are in the environment you want to be in is one of the most powerful actions you can take to find and live with purpose and meaning. Make connections by being yourself, and approach others as if they were potential friends.
- Care– If you want to be able to get a sense of what it really means to have a purpose, then you should genuinely care about people; have genuine interest and care for others. We are an interconnected global world, all emotional beings, and all a part of the same system. The time has come to quit hiding ourselves from the world and surround ourselves with hope, inspiration, and love.
3. Follow your Dreams
On your journey, you will also discover the rewards and benefits of living life the way you want to, on your own terms, and the power that comes with doing something that matters.
*Warning: Following these three techniques takes an incredible amount of desire, inspiration, motivation, and the willingness to help others. Be prepared to have your life changed.
- Reason– You need a reason to believe that what you want for your life is possible. Having a reason, a purpose for your life, helps you build the desire, and gives you the passion needed to start.
- Action- You know, most people have strong desires, passions, ideas, and dreams for the future, and those who act on those desires are already moving closer to what drives them. All you have to do is start. Like my five year old daughter told me last week, “You don’t have to do it all at once daddy. You just take it one step at a time”.
- Effort- Your desires and passions will be the catapult to your effort. The larger your vision for the future, the more immense the amount of effort needed to reach your goals. That’s why it’s so critical to have a purpose and the right mindset for it.
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook