Couple people asked me how to organize my time on my day job responsibility and my hobby projects like self-development, lifehack.org and Listible etc at night. It is pretty similar to what Chris calls a second life. Same as Chris, I use my second life to pursue my passions – but things are not always go well because of other elements – work and life. Frankly Chris handles it much better than me – but in here I want share my issues and my ways to help the situation.
- Sometimes my concentration is not there at night, after I have worked whole day in the office.
- Unexpected things, like phone calls from my love one.
- Fall asleep, because of tiredness.
- Deal with day-job work, because things have to be done in different timezones.
- Move on and Relax: When I lack of concentration to do my projects, I will take some time off at night to get some rest – perform some relax activities and share your time with others, such as chatting or watching TV with my family. Is it a time inefficient for my project? Yes. On the other hand, this is a great family time – utilize it – as I do not require great deals of concentration for catching up with friends/family or relaxation. It is much better than forcing myself to work on the projects and being unproductive.
- Ideal schedule: I keep my ideal schedule in my calendar and execute it. This is important even if I know the issues may affect my execution of the schedule. It still gives me a target to aim for, and I could base on this schedule to review my performance.
- Communicate: Tell my family and love one that you have a time-slot that you want to work with the projects. Schedule some other time to talk to them.
- Day-job work in a time-slot: I do not see a problem if it has to be done. I focus those tasks in a block of time – don’t spread out, otherwise it will take whole night.
- Review hit and miss: Every week or month, review my progress – Was it going well with my ideal schedule? Did I push myself too hard? Do I need to adjust more of my second life to be more relaxing?
Do you pursue your passions at night? How do you balance your life, work and passions?
Love this article? Share it with your friends on FacebookRead full content