Are you too connected? Have you handed too much time over to ever-present technological marvels that offer charming reasons to take up every moment of your life? If you,
- Reach for your phone the moment you wake up
- Check your email while still working on a reply
- Have ever silenced your child or ignored a loved one’s voice so you could pay attention to “internet friends”
- Can’t go more than 30 seconds of silence without breaking out a mobile device
There’s a good chance you might be suffering from over-connectedness. What’s the solution? For many, a little time away from the madness is all it takes to regain a healthy perspective and jump back in with a smile.
That’s where this Lifehack Challenge comes in.
This is a challenge for you to go on a 24 hour digital fast. What’s that? You take 24 hours and spend it completely free of the electronic devices that take up your every waking moment.
Unlike the Early Riser challenge that lasted for 5 days, the digital fast is only 24 hours. This will work best because most people can disappear for 24 hours without a remote contact even wondering about them. You’ll be able to take 24hrs for yourself and not even worry about going through all the work of letting your contacts know what’s happening.
Why would you want to do such a thing? Because you’re wondering if you can. Even better, you’ve already decided that you can and simply needed a little push to make it happen. That’s what the community here at Lifehack can provide for you: a little push. We’ll be here before and after, but during your digital fast it’s just going to be you and the people you spend time with face to face.
Here’s how it works.
- Choose either the 10th, or 11th of this month (April) as the day for your digital fast.
- Tell some of your friends what you’re going to do. The social pressure of telling others can often prove helpful in bringing about change. Want a little extra pressure (and encouragement)? Join us on Facebook or leave a comment below saying you’re in!
- Plan ahead for what you’ll do with all the extra time you’re going to have. It’s important that you stay busy when you’ve been accustomed to checking your iPhone constantly!
So, pick your day, let us know one of the things you plan to do with your digital-free day, and come find us on Facebook where I’ll be sharing extra tips and thoughts from my experience with breaking free of the need to be constantly on.
Welcome! Now it’s time to set you free, at least for a day, from all those devices that drive you nuts.
Follow Lifehack on Twitter
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook