The sequel to Chris Garrett’s choosing a domain name article is all about keeping your brand for your blog. You’ve got the name, you’ve got the idea – now let’s make sure not to throw things out the window.
- 1. Be Consistent. [The] Number one way to damage your brand is through inconsistency. Your brand is how people think about you, your product or your company. Through your words and behaviours you make a kind of promise.
- 2. Think Long-Term. Short term thinking is the next biggest brand gremlin. You have to think long-term with branding. Putting short-term financial gain above long term value.
- 3. Focus. You have to focus to create a crystal clear brand. Lack of focus sends mixed signals. This is extremely common in blogging.
- 4. Work. Weak input is rewarded with weak results. Lack of ongoing, energetic, effort will hinder your brands spread, visibility and rewards. Launching a blog is tough, keeping it going is even harder.
- 5. Keep Going. When you achieve a modicum of success it is even more important to determine what your brand is about and focus on those things that made you successful in the first place.
- 6. Prioritize. Small niggly glitches can add up to a big headache. Do not let your brand corrode through not enough atentioNn two deetaill. [sic]
- 7. Have Content. Although only number 7 this one really gets to me. Many blogs are all brand and nothing to back them up. Famous for being famous.
- 8. Be Original. Following the herd is so easy. Many bloggers are tempted to cover a story because they feel like it is expected of them.
- 9. Do As You Say. Behaviour that doesn’t match your words destroys trust.
- 10. Be Nice. Your brand lives in the brains of your readers, customers and prospects. It’s not all about you. If you make it all about you they will find a replacement that is all about them. Answer “What’s In It For Me”. It’s that simple.
Love this article? Share it with your friends on FacebookRead full content