Design Tips for a Productive Home Office
Home is where the heart is, and sometimes even where the office is. Setting up a home office is no joke. It is essential to have a good environment in the home office so as to ensure maximum productivity. Certain criteria’s must be kept in mind and followed strictly while designing the office at home. Though there are some key rules that should be followed, they can be adapted and changed according to personal specifications. It does not matter if you have a large room that you are converting into an office or a tiny corner of your house or simply moving into the basement to start work. These tips will help you in setting up a productive office almost anywhere.
- It is very important to have a comfortable chair that does not strain your back and a complimenting table to go with it.
- A proper section for the computer should form an essential part of the table so that you can protect your machine and clean it easily. One can choose from various sets depending upon the size of the home office and individual preferences. If your work requires you to seat clients then it would help to have the same color scheme chairs as the table.
- Place your work station in a comfortable and airy area that has good natural lighting. Having a lamp on your desk top could help in reducing the strain on your eyes. Make sure that the place is not humid and gloomy since working under such conditions will not only hamper your productivity but also harm your electronic equipment.
- Keep a paper pad on the table and a pen stand with pens as well as pencils and erasers handy. Stumbling around for something to write on or something to write with will waste time as well as thought. It is very essential to be completely organized when working from home.
- There are certain colors that stimulate your brain in a certain way. Oranges and yellow hues are said to make one hungry and this could be the reason why more and more restaurants are using it in their schemes. Choose a color that is not too gaudy so that it does not distract you. Keeping in mind the climate and the heat try selecting a neutral color that will soothe you in summer and provide warmth in winters. Lemons, pastel blues and creams are good color choices.
- Try placing a nice painting or some other bright and happy picture to keep your spirits high. Gloomy and abstract designs tend to have an adverse effect on the mind and so affect its creativity.
- It is essential that all files and other work related papers are kept near the work station so that in does not entail walking to far off points to go through them. A filing cabinet that suits your requirement can be chosen for this purpose.
- Lastly it is greatly beneficial to choose an area away from noise and other disturbances while setting up a home office since working in a peaceful and undisturbed environment will add greatly to productivity.
By keeping these simple tips in mind you will be able to set up a nice home office that will be a steady step for you to establish and increase your productivity.
Vishal P. Rao runs the Work at Home Forum, an online community of those who work from home.
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook