Rock Star. The word brings up all sorts of connotations: a performer, a celebrity, someone with drive or energy, someone who is loved. While the phrase is usually associated with music, we tend to use the term as a positive label for anyone who is remarkable, is successful, or has passionate followers.
So what does it take, and how can you be a rock star at anything?
1) Passion. Rock stars all over the world hold one thing in common: a relentless drive for the things that they are passionate about. A person who is strikingly dedicated is magnetic for those who have similar interests or pursuits.
2) Development. Whether you have natural talent or require extra training, you will need a plan for developing your skills. You can hire a mentor or trainer, take classes, read books, and practice. As renowned entertainer Eddie Cantor said, “It takes twenty years to become an overnight success.” Learn how to stay motivated.
3) Discipline. Rock stars have a strictly-disciplined regimen, which leads to more success. This includes staying away from things that can be a distraction or negative influence on what they do. As this article states, self-discipline is the foundation of productive living.
4) Connection. Being a rock star implies that someone has some loyal fans. In other words, it takes a group of people rooting you on and supporting whatever you do. It doesn’t have to be a large audience; it can simply be a loved one or some co-workers. Either way, it’s important to accept their support, deepen those relationships, and acknowledge their contributions to your success.
5) Consistency. If you want to be a rock star, you need to be able to perform consistently. People are looking for someone who is reliable, and that requires regular training, a history of success, and the ability to meet or exceed expectations every time.
6) Encore. Generally, the rule of thumb for any performer is to satisfy your fans but “leave them wanting more.” In other words, you don’t want to overstay your welcome in the limelight. However, if you do have a chance to extend your performance, make sure you leave a show-stopping experience for those who are watching. Whatever industry you are in — whether it is music, non-profits, or corporate sales — your job is about customer service. Make sure that anytime someone walks away, they are amazed and not bored.
7) Humility. The real rock star is gracious and still has the ability to connect. While it’s easy to get distracted by the glamorous, over-the-top lifestyles of some, it’s important to realize that those who are the most respected, appreciated, and followed are the ones who are humble, put others first, and aren’t arrogant.
8) Confidence. It’s important to be humble but one should also be confident in their values, pursuits, and abilities. It’s easy to confuse humility with timidity. Learn the art of humble confidence. If you want others to believe in you, you’re going to have to believe in yourself first.
9) Influence. Leadership expert and author John C. Maxwell states, “Leadership is influence. Nothing more, nothing less.” If you want to be a rock star, you’re going to have to learn how to lead others. Study the art of influence by focusing on your personal abilities, learning how to become a better communicator, and graciously receiving feedback from others.
10) Attitude. Perhaps the most important ability for a rock star to possess is a positive attitude. Often times, your attitude can make you or break you. If you have a resilient belief that you can make a difference and pursue that belief with a relentless passion, you can use that to drive your attitude.
It’s often said that if you want to be remarkable, you should do something that is worth making a mark about. That requires passion, confidence, discipline, and all of the other traits listed above. Sometimes being a rock star means you’ll be widely recognized for an outstanding talent and will receive fame, power, or riches from it. Other times, it means that your service to the world will inspire others to dedicate their lives to helping others. Whatever you choose, just remember: you have the ability to be a rock star.
Continue to work on the ten areas above to stay on the path to rock-stardom.
What do you need to perform at the highest levels, which is even more important than physical ability?: How to Develop Mental Toughness
Set a goal for yourself
"Let me learn three new words per day."Add To My Goal
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook