“Sister.She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she’s the reason you wish you were an only child.
~ Barbara Alpert.
I am very privileged to have always had a very close relationship with my sister. I have a number of best friends, some have been my best friends for over 30 years and I love them dearly. My sister, however is “my best friend ever” .Isadora James describes exactly how I feel about our relationship, she quotes;
” A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life”
What makes the relationship so special and why my sister is my best friend ever is, because she is my connection to my past, my present and future. We have so many shared memories and she treasures every one of those memories as much as I do. When I look ahead to the future I see my sister by my side no matter what life path I choose and I am known to be susceptible to choosing many different paths!
So what makes my sister my best friend ever? Well, here are 30 things that my sister knows about me which explains exactly why she is my best friend ever. I am sure that if you have a close relationship with your sister she too will know pretty much the same 30 things about you which of course makes her “your best friend ever”.
Can I also just say that some of the 30 things my sister knows about me, nobody else does – so it is kind of scary declaring to the world and if you are reading this and you are my best friend, brother or husband remember I love you dearly! Please do not use this information against me.This list is not ranked in any order of priority, its just random.
- My sister knows my secrets from the past and right up to the present. She was 2 years old and I was eight when I first started telling her my secrets
- She knows my full potential, she knows exactly what I can achieve and has 100% belief in me
- She has a special nickname for me and when she calls me ##### (can’t quite tell that to the world just yet….maybe later)…that makes me feel special
- She knows how much I love her
- She knows that when she was born I loved her however I was also prepared to sell her
- My sister knows that when we go out for dinner I will want to share an entree and dessert with her and that I will pick food off her plate while she is eating and she is ok with that because she does the same. Everybody else gets really annoyed and we cant figure out what the problem is!
- She knows what embarrassing stories to tell about me and has told those stories at my 40th, my 50th birthday and wedding
- She knows what clothes I like and what looks good on me or what doesn’t. We often end up dressing in very similar outfits and then we have to flip a coin as to who has to go and change
- She knows why I am short and she is tall – I am short like my grandmother and she is tall like my mum (she loves telling that to everyone). My lack of statue also relates to the nick name she has for me.
- She is the one person in my life who I can be totally myself – no pretence
- My sister is my connection to my childhood memories and to the memory of our parents – we just need to look at each other and we go back to the time of our childhood and growing up on the farm.
- She knows not to look bored or get that glazed look when I reminisce about the good times in my past – which is often
- She has seen me very intoxicated and has never judged me or made me feel bad. She knows how bad I will feel the next morning. Once when I tripped (it was the carpet) and broke a number of wine glasses in a very expensive restaurant she calmly got me in a taxi took me home and has never mentioned the incident again!
- She knows what I think about the rest of the family – the good, bad and ugly
- She knows that she is the only one person that can moan to me about how annoying our family really are. No one else can do that, just her.
- She knows the right thing to say when I am feeling anxious, scared or fearful
- She always knows exactly what presents to give me and she always takes time to think about what the perfect gift is for me.
- My sister knows that I could ask her to do anything for me (even if it was illegal) and she would do it
- She notices and knows everything that is not so great about me, particularly the physical aspects happening for me at the time, and she will comment on them, such as having lots of pimples, looking too pale, losing too much weight, putting on too much weight etc.
- She knows she is the only one who can make a not very complimentary comment to me and won’t worry at all about what my response will be. She has already moved on.
- My sister knows that I hate all the yucky photos of me, however she somehow has managed to get them all and takes great delight in laughing and pointing out how ridiculous I looked
- My sister knows my pain and unbearable suffering at the sudden loss of our parents, because she too experienced the same pain and unbearable suffering – together we have managed to slowly recover.
- My sister knows that I trust her completely and that if my husband and I died, she would love and protect our children with her life.
- My sister knows (well she will now) that I admire and respect her immensely for her incredible determination, her intelligence, her focus and commitment to whatever task or project she sets for herself. She has amazing willpower which at times can be seen as being very stubborn – she just does not give up.
- Best friends will tread very carefully when they are giving feedback or offering an opinion to me, but not my sister, she knows exactly what needs to be said. She will point out all my faults and offer her opinions on how I should parent, save money, deal with my husband, lose weight etc. I also know that she loves me unconditionally no matter what I do, so I listen, breathe deeply and then smile.
- My sister knows that she has a memory like an elephant and when I tell stories from our childhood or family stories she will correct me if I get it wrong. She remembers everything and also knows what bits of the story I will leave out ( because it is not relevant to me) before I do and she will fill in the gaps! She is always right!
- My sister knows and shares the same values as me and that makes us very aligned in our thinking especially when we feel personally challenged by others.
- My sister knows that I can be unpredictable, fickle, fearful and at times painful and she is okay with it
- My sister knows how important my dream is to be a writer, speaker and coach and she is there 100%, supporting, coaching and encouraging me on my journey. To her, living my dream life is totally achievable and very realistic for me- its a no brainer from her perspective. She keeps telling me to “just get on with it”.
- My sister is my best friend ever because she knows what makes me happy and she always thinks about how she can support me to be the best person I can be and to live a happy fulfilled rewarding life.
Its a funny thing when I first started writing this article I thought wow 30 things is a lot to come up with in regard to what my sister knows about me. However now that I have completed the 30 things she knows about me, I actually have more….maybe I will leave them for another time.
“When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us?” ~Pam Brown
Featured photo credit: two young women sitting on grass having good time via shutterstock.comRead full content
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook