Human nature means we long to be accepted and liked by everyone we meet. We always look for reasons why someone likes us or doesn’t like us.
In recent years, maybe you’ve started to lose and forget some of the key reasons why someone might like you. Now, you shouldn’t think of life as a popularity contest. Instead, you should think of it as the reason why you’ll find your next job, close on that big deal or find the love of your life.
Here are 25 things to do to become a well liked person:
- Be generous with the words ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ – We may forget or simply don’t feel the need to use these words; however, they can be the catalyst that changes the interaction instantly.
- Hold doors open for everyone and anyone if the situation permits.
- Be plentiful with favors; however, never expect anything in return for helping out.
- Help, guide and advise whenever you can. You may be an expert in an area that few others are; therefore, your input will always be highly valued.
- Don’t be an “I know” or a “me too” person. Ask for advice and ask questions that will directly represent your similarities rather than saying “me too.”
- Instead of just saying, “me too,” you should use the opportunity to link interests. This will create a new level of rapport that saying “me too” just won’t.
- Listen, and listen carefully to what people have to say. If you do this correctly, you can ask meaningful questions that show you’re ‘in the moment’ with that other person.
- Be gracious with your compliments and praise. Just as humans seek to be liked, we also seek to have relevance and be acknowledged for our efforts.
- Try to temporarily adopt another person’s values and beliefs instead of standing your ground and arguing why you think what they believe in is wrong.
- Enthusiasm goes an incredibly long way, from speaking to handshakes. If done enthusiastically, then the other person has a reason to carry on interacting with you.
- Be warm and smile lots. It’s welcoming, attractive and also a key interaction starter.
- Be confident (not cocky) with yourself, what you’re saying, what you’re wearing and what you’re doing. People are attracted to “experts” who are generally confident in their abilities. Demonstrate this attitude and people will be willing to listen.
- Get involved in everything, especially if it’s well known that you dislike whatever it is you’re taking part in. People will always respect someone that goes out of their way to attempt to conquer a dislike or phobia.
- Be yourself with everyone. The last thing you need is to have a split personalities to deal with each group of friends and family members.
- Provoke the best in people even if they are hard to crack.
- Always be on time for everything. Making people wait tends to be seen as a sign of disrespect.
- Reply to messages and calls instantly (if possible). Again, it should be looked at in the same way as Tip 16.
- Have you learned to listen carefully yet? Because of this, you’ll remember birthdays and important dates, which can be brought up in conversation letting the person realize you do really listen.
- Focus on what’s going on in the lives of others and again remember important dates to bring back up in conversation.
- Give them your biggest asset–your time.
- Never look at your watch during conversation. It shows that you have somewhere more important to be. Again remain ‘in the moment.’
- Be positive and forget all things negative. Negativity is a huge drain on emotions and ultimately the interaction. No one wants that.
- Be vulnerable to an extent that it makes you easy to get along with, easy to offer advice to, and ultimately, easy to get along with.
- Be approachable. If you offer up a smile or show some form of vulnerability, people will be drawn to you.
- Most of all, remember peoples’ names. This is something which we are all bad at but with practice, this simple gesture can be a huge reason why people like you.
These questions may change your life, read them: 31 Questions That Will Change Your Life
Set a goal for yourself
"If a long distance relationship survives, it'll only grow stronger. So I'm going to make it work."Add To My Goal
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook