Day 4 challenge is to not consume too much caffeine.
How much is too much?
Up to 400 mg of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most healthy adults. That’s roughly the amount of caffeine in 4 cups of brewed coffee or 2 “energy shot” drinks.
How to do it?
- Cut back gradually. Plan your caffeine withdrawal in stages. This reduction will help lessen caffeine withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, irritability and nausea.
- Water down drinks that contain caffeine. They will still have the taste you enjoy, but contain a lower amount of caffeine.
- Go for an espresso shot. These contain only about half the amount of caffeine as a cup of regular coffee. It will help you satisfy your craving, without overdoing it.
- Try coffee-like alternatives. Consider changing from coffee in the morning to herbal tea like green tea.
- Try decaf. Switch to decaf coffee, decaffeinated soda, or even better, water or fruit juices.
Why it matters?
Heavy daily caffeine use — more than 500 to 600 mg a day — may cause side effects such as:
- Stomach upset
- Fast heartbeat
- Muscle tremors