Siddhartha Gautama, famously known as Buddha, is the chief figure in Buddhism, and also an important personality for humanity. Buddha means the enlightened one. His enlightenment came when one day, he sat under a pipal tree, now known as Bodhi tree, and meditated for 49 days straight. He was 35 years old at that time.
The next 45 years of his life saw him traveling and preaching how to live a life free of greed, detestation among each other, and ignorance. He taught people of liberty, of free spirit, sagacity and compassion. If you want to know more about him, click here. In case, you are feeling down, or are emotionally devastated, here are 20 quotes to cheer you up and enlighten you of your depression.
1. Only you can save yourself – no one else. We each must walk on our own paths.
2. Our thoughts shape who we are. When our minds are pure, happiness and joy follow us like shadow.
3. Faithfulness is the best relationship. Health is the supreme gift. Contentment is the greatest wealth.
4. Holding onto your anger is like holding onto a hot coal; the only person you’re hurting is yourself.
5. You can only make two mistakes when traveling on the road to truth: not starting, and not going all the way.
6. Sorrow or happiness – whatever emotion may befall you, walk on your path unattached and untouched.
7. The secret to existence is this: have no fear.
8. Choose your words with care. Others will hear them and will be influenced by them for better or worse.
9. Words can heal, or they can destroy. But when words are kind and true, they can change the world.
10. A dog is not a great dog because he’s a good barker. As such, a man is not a good man because he’s a great talker.
11. Every person is the cause of his or her own disease or health.
12. Evil is necessary to prove that good is the purest of all.
13. The past is gone. The future has yet to arrive. The present moment is the only moment for which you can live.
14. If we do not look after others when they are in need of help, who will look after us when we are in need of help?
15. The moment we give into anger, we stop striving for the truth and start striving for ourselves.
16. Nothing in this world is permanent. Everything can and will change. Being will always be becoming.
17. These three things renew humanity: a life of service and compassion, kind words, and a generous heart.
18. Practice compassion if you want others to be happy. Practice compassion if you want yourself to be happy.
19. If the problem has a solution, why worry? Take action instead. If the problem has no solution, worrying will not do you any good.
20. Happiness comes from a disciplined life.
21. You will never be punished for your anger. You will only be punished by your anger.
22. A single moment can change the day. A single day can change an entire life. A single life can change the entire world.
23. Loving kindness will free your mind. Make this your basis; your vehicle. Exercise yourself in it and stabilize it to fully perfect it.
24. The secret to existence is this: have no fear.
25. Sorrow or happiness – whatever emotion may befall you, walk on your path unattached and untouched.
26. Nothing in the world can harm you more than your unguarded thoughts.
27. You can only find peace within. Do not seek peace without.
28. In the end, there are three things that matter the most: how fully did you live? How strongly did you love? How deeply did you let go?
Hope these quotes have cheered you up!
Featured photo credit: Francis Chung via flickr.com
Set a goal for yourself
"I'll do meditation every morning to practice mindfulness."Add To My Goal
Love this article? Share it with your friends on Facebook