This is the day we have all been waiting for – the day that we could make churro ice cream sandwiches from the comfort of our own home. We use the lovely dough of churros to make cookies and put our favorite ice cream in between. Nothing has ever tasted this sweet! You can only imagine the soft, sweet dough of the churros combined with the fresh, rich flavor of the ice cream. If that does not make you want them yet, this will do the trick.
Lucky for you, it is quiet easy to make these beauties. The recipe is clear and easy to follow. So… what do you need to make the best desert ever? Here is a list of ingredients:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 9 scoops dulce de leche ice cream (or your own favorite)
And here are the steps:
- Sift together the flour and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add water, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and salt to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add in the flour mixture, and stir quickly. The mixture will be thick, but continue to stir it until the flour is incorporated and it forms a rough, shaggy ball of dough.
- Place the dough into the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed and add eggs one at a time until the dough is combined and smooth.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper. Fit a pastry bag with a reasonably small piping tip, and fill the bag with churro dough. Pipe the dough into circles to create cookies. Start at the center of the circle and work outward in a spiral pattern. Place the baking sheets in the freezer for at least 10 minutes to set and chill the dough.
- Add oil to a large skillet or deep fryer so that it’s at least 2 inches deep. Heat the oil to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with several layers of paper towels. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the granulated sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- Fry 2-3 churros at a time, turning them over occasionally so they brown evenly. Transfer them to the paper-towel-lined baking sheet using a slotted spoon or spatula to let the oil drain. Toss them in the cinnamon sugar mixture while they are still warm.
- Take one churro, top it with a scoop of ice cream, and place another churro on top. Gently press them together and there you have it: homemade churro ice cream sandwiches!
Love this video? Share it with your friends on FacebookRead full content